On Zoom: http://bit.ly/3-3rally
Live streamed on the Start SMART Facebook page
Wednesday, March 3 at 10:30am
Advocates from across New York State are holding a rally at 10:30 am to kick off the marijuana justice virtual day of action calling on the legislature and Gov. Cuomo to legalize cannabis by passing the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act (S.854/A.1248) now.
Despite the 30-day amendments released recently, Gov. Cuomo’s legalization bill (CRTA) still falls short in many ways. Advocates maintain that the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act (MRTA) is the gold standard for legalization with racial justice, social equity and economic justice, and community reinvestment at the core and are urging the Legislature to pass the MRTA immediately.
Given New Jersey passing legalization and establishing an adult-use market next door to New York, the Start SMART coalition and allies across New York are calling for swift passage of the MRTA to secure justice, jobs, and equity for millions of New Yorkers and restitution for New York communities most harmed by the war on drugs.
- Jawanza Williams, VOCAL-NY
- Stanley Fritz, Citizen Action
- Orlando Dickson, Partnership for the Public Good
- Kumar Rao, Working Families Party
- Pilar Dejesus, NYC NORML
- Shaloma, Women of Color in Cannabis
- Anh-Thu Nguyen, Democracy at Work Institute
- Adrian Adams, Ed.D.,Minorities for Medical Marijuana – NY Director
- Yusuf Abdul-Qadir, Senior Strategist for Racial Justice, New York Civil Liberties Union
- Melissa Moore, Drug Policy Alliance